Serious health problems, injuries and illness require immediate care. When your pet urgently needs to see a veterinarian, Prairie Animal Health Centre offers quality emergency care during business hours and after hours as well.
After Hours Emergencies
In the event an emergency arises outside our business hours call our main clinic phone number at (306) 634-7123. You will be greeted by our after-hours answering service who will direct you to the Prairie Animal Health Centre on-call veterinarian. There is a consultation fee for all small animal calls placed outside our regular hours, but you will not be charged the call fee if your pet is seen after hours. The call fee does not apply for large animal emergencies.
Please note the PAHC veterinarian on-call may be in Weyburn and you may have to travel.
Signs your pet may need emergency care:
- Pale gums
- Rapid breathing
- Weak or rapid pulse
- Change in body temperature
- Difficulty standing
- Apparent paralysis
- Loss of consciousness
- Excessive bleeding
- Pets who are severely ill or injured may try to bite, claw, or act in an aggressive manner toward those trying to help them. Approach any injured or sick pet slowly and calmly; say their name and see how the animal reacts. Call for help if the pet reacts aggressively.
- For dogs, fashion a makeshift stretcher if the animal is unable to move. Make sure the neck is supported.
- For cats, slowly place a blanket or towel over the head to prevent biting. Slowly lift the animal into an open-topped carrier or box.
- Elevate and apply pressure to any bleeding wound.
As pet owners ourselves we know that pet emergencies are stressful and we are here to help. Being prepared and knowing who to call is the first step.